16 January 2013

For the Love of Linens

I'm working in the junk room today--going through boxes and deciding what needs to be stored here and what can be moved out to the loft in the garage.
 
 


To be honest, I've never really considered myself a 'collector' in the same way as someone who collects Roseville Pottery, or English cups and saucers, or music boxes, or Fire King, or whatever.

I have a lot of stuff, don't get me wrong, it's just that there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to the madness, nor is a lot of it particularly valuable. I don't know why I'm attracted to the things I collect, all I know is that I like them.




I especially like ephemera: old photographs, vintage greeting cards, correspondence, receipts, road maps and travel brochures, Valentines, and odds 'n ends.





Which brings me back to collections. As I sort through this menagerie, I'm finding lots of linens and buttons and lace and patterns. I don't even sew, so I'm not sure how over the years I have amassed so many of these things. Some of the more utilitarian linens I use, such as ticking pillow covers. They are simply the best if you have down or feather pillows, as the quills don't poke through. But all the other stuff? Is it the color, the graphics, the texture, the history? Or am I just a hoarder? That isn't even funny.

As I'm rummaging in my own junk room, I'm looking for something special since I'm participating in the Grow Your Blog party starting this Saturday. In keeping with my collecting pattern, I guess I'll know it when I see it.

Stop back on Saturday morning to see what I've decided upon. This giveaway is open to anyone, anywhere with one caveat....you have to tell me what you collect!

~Diane


  savvysouthernstyle.net

8 comments:

  1. Lucky you! You must come across so many wonderful old items in your business.
    I'm afraid it's hard for me to pass by any old linens. I have a drawer full of vintage tablecloths and doilies that never see the light of day. But I'm convinced I'm going to use them-someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your collection is wonderful! I too like things from the past and some of those little treasures you have are just plain fun! I would love to have your job! I am thinking of what I collect and I can't wait to see what you choose for the big day this Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm so glad you stopped by The Little White House as it allowed me to find your blog. What a lovely house you have... And you had me at teacup! Yours are beautiful. And there is so much snow where you live! I had a hard time finding the follower gadget, but thanks to you I'm learning new things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diane! Love your pretties! I collect vintage linen...and am particularly fond of hand loomed linen, grain sacks, and French linen. I also adore vintage trims and lace! They always make their way into my creations!! Thanks for sharing at Blissful Whites Wednesday!!
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your blog from Island Rustic. Following. I've added your blog to my reading list so I remember to visit again.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. I am in love with all the valentines and those angels. What a great job!!I spend a lot of time at estate sales and thrift stores and antique stores.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to collect cat themed items and nutcrackers. But over the years I have grown away from those collections. I still have them I just don't add to them.

    Now my passion is yarn, knitting and weaving ... and hopefully spinning. And because I have so much yarn stash, I have decided to call it a yarn "collection". I feel less guilty if I call it a collection. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure find great stuff at the estates near you. You're very lucky. I've been to a lot of estate sales near my home and rarely find such wonderful treasures.

    ReplyDelete