14 January 2012

Vintage Valentines for You

 

Hello. It's a cold winter day in the Copper Country, so I'm staying inside and doing a little housekeeping. For me that means organizing ephemera and putting things back in place after my daughter's visit over the Holidays. She likes old cards and paper, too. The hum of the scanner was constant while she was home.

This morning I found a stack of old Valentines she left on her dresser, so before I put them away I thought I'd scan a few and post them on my blog. Maybe you have a Valentine project and can use them?

All I can say is, "they sure don't make 'em the way they used to."


Aren't these 1930s Valentines adorable? I'm amazed at how the colors are still so vibrant after all these years.

And the verses are so sweet....
I have boxes and boxes of old greeting cards. I just love them. I have been collecting paper since forever.

Several years ago I made personalized gift cards using scans of turn of the century Christmas cards. I used snapshots that I had taken of family members and "photoshopped" their faces in place of the ones on the original cards.

My brother became the jolly Santa ready to descend the chimney; the rosy-cheeked girls sledding down the hill had my nieces' happy faces. You get the picture. It was trial and error, but fairly easy once I got the facial proportions right. I printed them on natural fiber card stock on a high-quality color printer. They were so cute! I think everyone liked them better than their gifts. I gave a complete family set to everyone.

This little sweetie has a red ribbon and a message in pencil on the back: To Gertrude (signed Kerttu Ylitalo 1922).

What kinds of fun and creative things do you do with vintage cards? I'd love to see your creations.  Enjoy!

~Diane


4 comments:

  1. Hi Diane,

    Oh how I love Vintage postcards/cards & the the Vintage Valentine's are no exception!!! You have a wonderful collection! :) What a cute idea with photoshopping the faces too! :) Hope you are enjoying your weekend so far. Take care and have a good one!

    Cheers,
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the Valentines! It's cold here too and I should be organizing myself.

    x
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment on my blog ...

    And I know that the possibility to react not always works.
    That is my own decision on that moment because sometimes
    I am so busy that I can't react on other blogs .

    I hope you understand what I mean ....

    Have a nice evening !

    greetings from Gea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the antique valentines! And your posts from Lithuania are wonderful. We would love to spend some time browsing through some of those trinkets looking for undiscovered treasures.....one of our favorite pastimes! Thank you so much for stopping by our new blog and giving us such a warm welcome to the blogging world. And what a nice surprise to see our giveaway posted on your sidebar. We anxiously await more posts and will definitely be following!

    ~Bobby & Eric~

    ReplyDelete